Friday, January 12, 2007

17 weeks

I called the genetic counselor in Pittsburgh and set my husband and I up for an appointment. The lady told me, “You’ve been referred to us for genetic counseling and amniocentesis. I said, “Um… yeah, the genetic counseling, but I’m not sure about the amnio. I’d rather go the conservative route and do an ultrasound first and then take it from there.”

I then told her that I had my MSAFP screening done this past Monday and that I haven’t heard back about the results yet. We then talked about the relevant medical history on my side and my husband’s. She told me that they will be needing medical records from my cousin and our niece so they will know exactly what we’re dealing with. So now I have to get a hold of my aunt and brother-in-law, find out where they went for treatment for the kids, and get them to sign releases of medical info and all that crap. Fun fun.

Anyway… so then she goes, “Ok… so we’ll set up you up for genetic counseling and do a Level II ultrasound.” (One where they go and measure EVERY LITTLE THING.) I asked, “So will both of those be done in the same day?” and she said yes.

So do you know what that means? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS????

Instead of waiting until I’m 23 weeks (I’m 17w today) to have the “Big Ultrasound” done, I get to find out what the sex of the baby is OVER A MONTH EARLIER!!!! YAY!!!! We go Tuesday January 23rd at 1:45pm. I can’t wait! But like I said, I’m nervous and excited at the same time. I just want everything to go alright with this ultrasound. If some red flags are raised during the ultrasound (God forbid), I don’t know if I’ll go through with an amniocentesis. That’s a bridge I’ll cross if or when we get there.
I just keep hoping and praying everyday that my little one is happy and healthy!!!

(Oh, and I called my OB office today and connected directly to the Nurse practitioner's extension, so I could tell her about my appointment date. I left a message on her voicemail, and said for her to call me back if she has any other questions. I haven't heard anything back, so I'm guessing that's what the message on my machine was about yesterday.) :-)

No comments: